I've begun a year-long Bible reading plan. It's approximately 4 chapters per day. I've never read the Bible straight through and the idea of doing it is appealing to me- despite all the reading I have to do for classes! I've already fallen behind on my reading, but I am trying to get back in track. My plan with the reading is to focus on scripture in a spiritual, faithful way rather than the academic take I've had for the last couple of years.
I was raised Catholic and have continued to pray the rosary periodically. In the last year, I have picked up the practice on a weekly basis. It's slightly out of my theological structure, but I enjoy the rote prayer. I've made some adjustments to the rosary prayers to make them gender inclusive and to leave out some more strict Catholic theology. Praying in a structured, repetitious way helps me to clear my head and re-focus my thoughts, concerns, and stresses and address whatever I need to.
In nice weather (which we seem to have in spades right now) I like to walk the labyrinth. When I lived in Baltimore, the Johns Hopkins hospital next to my house had a labyrinth that I walked almost nightly. I was in an abusive relationship with a police officer and walking the labyrinth was a way for me to leave my house- it was about as far as I could go without to much explanation. I still enjoy walking the labyrinth. Much like praying the rosary, walking the labyrinth allows focus to be on the steps being taken and the path being walked rather than the worries of my day. Everything becomes much clearer as I walk and pray.
Not a typical spiritual practice, I would to start working out on a regular basis. I think having a more active, healthier lifestyle would be of benefit to my entire life. Understanding and respecting my body through healthier eating and thoughtful, intentional exercise seems like a spiritual discipline if I've ever known one.
I am also working on being much more intentional in what I watch, read, and hear. I am not trying to shelter myself, but I also know that some media makes me angry and upset in ineffective ways. I don't think anger is necessarily a bad emotion, but I also know that some news stories make me irrationally angry- increasing my blood pressure and stopping me from doing much else in the world. Dr. Andrew Weil recommends a news fast. I used to be better at doing this once or twice a week. I would like to bring this back into my life. At least one day a week, maybe more, no TV news, no radio news stations and no internet. I've been trying this week- beginning by loading my iPod shuffle with lovely music to keep my awake and energized on my drives to school. Lots of Indigo Girls, Dolly Parton, Andra Moran (a great progressive Christian singer/song-writer), David Bowie. Also lots of show tunes (Jesus Christ Superstar, Guys and Dolls, Les Mis.) Limiting TV in the evening- only watching shows on Netflix with Melissa and no turning the Today Show on in the mornings. Internet is a little harder, but I am making an effort.
I'm sure these will change and grow as time goes on and I figure out what works for me and what needs to be changed, added, dropped. Hopefully finding some effective practices and disciplines will help me in all aspects of my life- structure one area and others may fall into place.
Lots of people do a bible reading plan. I'm not sure how helpful such a plan is - maybe it will be for you. The bible isn't sequential, so it's hard to read it sequentially. I recommend starting with Psalms and living with one Psalm per week, reading each day. Go deep instead of broad.
ReplyDeleteAlso, be gentle with yourself and take on one or two things at a time. That which gives you energy or depth will be important.
Thank you for the candor about the abuse. I'm glad you're out of it.