In the past week or so, I've been intentional in my actions toward spirtual practices. I limited my time online, which was extremely helpful in accomplishing schoolwork but also gave me a chance to remember that the world continues to turn even withour constant access to email and Facebook. My email still were read and returned, but not as quickly as I typically do. And that was great. Taking a break from Facebook and other internet sites helped to keep my blood pressure down- I still heard the news, but I wasn't inundated with everyone's response to everything and I think that made all the difference in how I approached my life and the people around me. I can be a little short with people sometimes and I think giving myself a break from interacting with people in that superficial way was helpful in remembering what is significant in my life. I turned 34 on February 6, but celebrated with Melissa and my family over the weekend; dinner on Saturday and brunch on Sunday, after worship- I chose not to take my iphone either day. I am always tempted to check it for whatever or look something up. I realized none of that is necessary and it was nice to focus on the conversation and not have that thing to encourage my disconnection.
Fasting from news/TV is very smart. I follow this practice as well. We can change parts of our spheres of influence and rely on the ripple effect, but media foci are poisoning the spirit of the country. Wise move.
ReplyDelete